Ask anyone about marketing and they will often tell you that it is an expense or a non-revenue generating cost center. While in some respects this definition may be true, marketers can bring true value to the table if they are able to monitor and track the return on investment (ROI) of marketing activities. Essentially the formula looks like this:
Simple enough right? Absolutely! The idea behind it is that you are calculating the amount of return or profit that you are making on a particular marketing activity after the cost. Now, while it may sound simple enough, the most accurate method of calculating ROI is to have a clear picture of net profit. In a perfect world you will want to know exactly the cost it takes to sell your products or services. If you are measuring this for a business that tracks net profit well, you are in luck. But, I can tell you from experience that this number is not always easy to obtain. It may be because your organization does not track costs down to a net profit. OR it may be because you are a marketer and may not have access to the information. The bottom line is that ROI is a metric and a method to benchmark. If you can get to a true ROI measurement with accurate net profit tracking, you are in a marketer’s dreamworld. I actually have that ability with my current marketing role, but for a lot of marketers and business owners, that isn’t the case.
I can tell you I have also managed marketing in businesses where I either did not have access or the organization did not track the information. In this case, this is where I would like to share a real world practical way of making this metric meaningful. Metrics are a way to monitor, adjust, and plan for your business activities. Whether you are marketing or managing some other part of the business, it is important to remember that the key is to consistently measure whatever return number that may be. For some, it may be gross sales. Others it may be marketing costs solely. Or in my current example, it is a true net profit incorporating not only the sale, but the profit (meaning all overhead utilized). Any way you cut it, it is important to measure something and track it consistently over time. Why? Mainly because ROI should be a tool to show you what is effective and what needs adjustment. Many would argue that there is a right or a wrong. I would beg to differ. I believe that the activity of monitoring (regardless of which method or which number you use) provides you the ability to see what is working and what is not. That is, after all, what any business metrics should be used to accomplish.
So measure your marketing activities, watch to see what trends materialize and make adjustments to your plan as you go along. You do this and you will see marketing efforts that produce real results regardless of how you calculated the metric. Marketing is an art AND a science, so use it in that way to achieve the growth goals you have for your organization.
Full Circle is an integral resource for all business planning services, working with businesses of all shapes and sizes – from aspiring entrepreneurs to leaders of growing established businesses.
Our expertise spans all aspects of business planning including:
• Writing and reviewing of business plans
• Market and competitor analysis
• All aspects of market research
• Messaging, value proposition and positioning development
• Financial modeling and forecasting
• Strategic marketing planning for sales growth
• ‘Pitch’ development and training for fundraising
Whether you want to focus on a specific part of the business planning process, are looking to pitch to raise funds, are looking to launch a new product or enter a new market, want to understand your customers better or need help assessing the commercial viability of a new business idea, the Full Circle team of professionals help you build a plan & make sure you get the results you need.
Our success is your success.
Putting your best foot forward is important. Are you able to articulate your business vision? Can you succinctly explain what you do? Can you raise awareness or funds to further your business objectives?
With Full Circle Presentation Services you can:
- Capture your audience’s attention with a compelling visual presentation
- Ensure your presentation design is clear whether projected, displayed on a big large screen, or shown on a tablet
- Tell your story from your audience’s perspective, so they find your message persuasive
- Deliver more effective presentations – and finally gain the results you need.
Business presentations are critical in the success of many areas – telling the company story, funding pitches, sales presentations, product launches, key training sessions. Give them the importance & attention they deserve by creating a compelling presentation with our team. By doing so, you will:
- Increase conversion rates – Salespeople present your messages more persuasively, and so win more deals
- Win bigger deals – Communicate a compelling value story, avoid commoditisation, and protect margin
- Improve sales productivity – Less time spent creating slides, more time spent selling
- Deliver consistency – Promote a consistent message by replacing clandestine collateral in the field with effective presentations that sales people actually want to use
- Enhance your brand – Provide slides that meet your brand guidelines while looking great. No more boring, ineffective, text-heavy slides
The Full Circle team works with you to customize the presentations to your needs. We want you to be successful! To ensure that you are, our team will not only work with you on concept and creation, but also in preparation. We will train your team on effective presentation skills and provide input into how best to present the content we create for your business.
First impressions mean everything, especially when it comes to your business. Grab the attention of potential clients with eye-catching graphic design for your marketing materials and branding.
Full Circle’s team of creative graphic designers will work closely with you to develop images and graphics that truly reflect your brand.
We offer an array of services that include:
- Logo & graphic design
- Typesetting and design consultation
- Collateral design
- Web design
When you need to make that perfect first impression, turn to the design professionals at Full Circle. From logos and letterhead to brochures, newsletters, web & digital formats, posters and more, our team will help you create the best layout for your needs.
We help you communicate your brand visually.
The goal behind Full Circle’s social media marketing services are to put your company in a position to tap into the two-way conversation naturally happening between you and your customers. Our services are designed to show you where people are talking about you, the areas where you can best get involved, and the tactics you should use to help increase brand awareness.
Through our social media audit, competitive analysis, and custom-built interactive strategies, we’ll teach you how to take advantage of the social Web and how to successfully drive visitors to your site.
Full Circle’s social media services include:
- Social media marketing strategy: Have you been tasked with spending a social media or interactive marketing budget, but you don’t know where to start? We can assess your needs, outline opportunities and prescribe specific actions for long-term social media success.
- Implementation guidelines: Did you already decide what you want to do with social media, but you need help navigating a complex and seemingly subjective landscape? We’ll work with you to ensure the integrity of your brand, compliance with the different mediums and best practices for future development and communication.
- Software recommendations: If there are hundreds of SEO tools, there are thousands more social media tools due to the explosion of open source software and a larger audience. Finding tools to track performance, opportunities, management and more can be daunting, but we can help narrow your choices based on budget, resources and environments.
- Social media audit: This is an in-depth analysis of your site’s presence across the various social networks and a strategy for ways to improve it. Not every site has a place on Digg or MySpace, so we cater our suggestions to realistic options including niche opportunities and relevant mainstream tactics.
- Competitive analysis: Is your competition doing an incredible job with videos, blogs, linkbait, widgets or community building? We’ll identify their tactics, potential service providers and action alerts that you can start implementing to shake their hold on your industry.
- Social profile creation: We will identify the social networks where you should be participating and where people are talking about you. We’ll also help you create and manage your own social media profiles to attract visitors and leverage the two-way conversation.
- Badge creation and strategy: Want to spread joy to your users by giving them something that’s useful or relevant to them? We can create interactive badges that will position you as an authority in the industry and have obvious link-building benefits.
- Widget strategy development: We will look at your Web site and see whether or not you would benefit from an interactive widget campaign. This includes identifying what type of widget may work for your site, its probability for success, and what your competitors are (or are not) doing and how you can better that.
- Blog design, setup and/or optimization: A blog that is not setup correctly won’t attract readers or bring you the search engine benefits you’re after. We’ll work with you to find the best blogging platform for your needs, help you to optimize your blog for success from the very beginning, and show you how to tweak it to make it more accessible to both users and the search engines.
- Blog strategy development: We can work with you to create a blog strategy that carves a space for your corporate or personal brand in the greater blog community. This may include crafting ideas for blog posts, writing the posts themselves, showing you how to comment on other blogs to build awareness, and much more.
- Community building strategy development: We’ll outline which communities are worth monitoring, what the competition is doing and how you can naturally enter these communities and form relationships. This strategy document will also show you how to identify the important conversations in your industry and when, how and whom to reach out to.
- Community monitoring: Don’t have a team in-house that you can allocate community building to? No one knows your services and industry better than you, but if you do want help, we can monitor the communities important to you, track your brand or keywords across those, and proactively respond to both positive and negative mentions.
- New hire reviews: Do you want to hire a brand evangelist, social media specialist or blogger, but don’t know how to evaluate them? Let our team help you.